Facebook   Twitter   Feed Touring Italy

Touring Italy - Great travel tips, tours
» Home » Veneto » Soave DOC, the famous Italian white wine of the Verona area    ||     » BACK

SOAVE DOC, THE FAMOUS ITALIAN WHITE WINE OF THE VERONA AREA

Soave DOC, the famous Italian white wine of the Verona area

The famous white wine Soave DOC produced in the valleys around Verona has a long history, unique flavors and aromas

Tour description

Soave DOC, the famous Italian white wine of the Verona area

Itinerary: Verona, Soave, Colognola ai Colli, Caldiero, San Martino Buon Albergo, Mezzane di Sotto
The famous white wine Soave DOC produced in the valleys around Verona has a long history, unique flavors and aromas
Soave DOC is one of the most famous Italian wines. Is is produced in the surrounding areas of Verona, where the 40% of the production is made by this dry white wine. It has an intense flavor and it can be served with many different dishes.

Where it is produced

Soave DOC is a typical wine of region of Veneto. It is produced in some valleys that belong to the province of Verona. The allowed production area was assigned back in 1931, and it includes the municipalities of Soave, Colognola ai Colli, Caldiero, San Martino Buon Albergo, Mezzane di Sotto, Illasi, Montecchia di Crosara and Monteforte d'Alpone.

This region has also a historical importance as well. Here, you can drive along "Strada del Vino" for 50 kilometers, visiting Medieval churches, castles, villas and, of course, many wineries.

History & how it is made

This wine takes its name from the town of Soave. It is likely to come from Suaves, which refers to the Suebi, who were Germanic people. This area was known as a wine-production region even during the Roman age, but it started to spread in the Middle Age. In 1901, "Cantina Sociale di Soave" was founded, and then a "Consortium" was established to promote and protect this precious wine.
The appellation of Controlled Origin (DOC) was authorized in 1936, and with that, it was the first Italian wine awarded this appellation. Today, Soave DOC is one of the most exported Italian white wines.
Soave DOC, the famous Italian white wine of the Verona area - pic 7

The main grape variety used to produce Soave DOC is Garganega, a late-ripening variety which is very typical of this area. According to the most recent guidelines, producers have to use at least 70% of Garganega grapes while the remaining 30% can be Trebbiano di Soave, Chardonnay or Pinot Bianco grapes. Soave DOC is usually aged for 8 months.
You can find different types of this wine such as Soave Classico DOC, Soave Superiore DOCG, and Recioto di Soave DOCG, all of them with different and excellent characteristics and organoleptic features.

Qualities & how it looks like

Soave DOC's color is straw yellow which can tend to greenish. The aroma is intense and delicate at the same time while the flavor is medium bodied, slightly bitter, and characterized by balance and harmony. This wine is able to get better with the aging so that it can also be tasted 3 or 4 years after its production.

The best way to taste it

Soave DOC is often served during the whole meal because its features get along well with a lot of different dishes. If you want to taste it at its best, drink it with fish-based dishes, crustaceans, white meat, risottos or light antipastos. Thanks to its delicate flavor, it is good for aperitifs as well.

Some pictures of Soave Doc wine:

Tour on map

Photo gallery

Tour in Italy: Soave DOC, the famous Italian white wine of the Verona area - pic 1
Tour in Italy: Soave DOC, the famous Italian white wine of the Verona area - pic 2
Tour in Italy: Soave DOC, the famous Italian white wine of the Verona area - pic 3

Top

Tour details

Tour details

Top

Share

Id: 169

Tour: Soave DOC, the famous Italian white wine of the Verona area

Category: Food & Wine

Type: Countryside Tours

Region: Veneto , Italy

Hits: 691

  Follow the tour

Map details

Tours by region

Click on a region to see all the tours for that area


Italy regions Aosta Valley & Aosta Piedmont & Turin Lombardy & Milan Trentino A.A.(South Tirol) & Trento Veneto & Venice Emilia Romagna & Bologna Liguria & Genoa Tuscany & Florence Marches & Ancona Umbria & Perugia Latium & Rome Abruzzo & L'Aquila Molise & Campobasso Campania & Naples Apulia & Bari Basilicata & Potenza Calabria & Catanzaro Sicily & Palermo Sardinia & Cagliari Friuli V. G. & Trieste
top page