» Home »
Apulia » Visit Otranto and all the beauties of this pearl of Salento || » BACK
VISIT OTRANTO AND ALL THE BEAUTIES OF THIS PEARL OF SALENTO
Otranto featuring some beautiful artistic jewels is located on the heel of the boot-shaped peninsula of Italy in Puglia
Visit Otranto and all the beauties of this pearl of Salento
Bordered by the clear waters of the Adriatic Sea, the town of Otranto (pic n°1) (pic n°3) is the most eastern Italian city and it is located in the area of Salento, in the southern part of the heel of the boot-shaped peninsula of Italy.
The origin of this city's name is quite old, the Romans used to call it "Hydruntum" because of the nearby River Hydrus. Nevertheless, the city must have been established in a previous period as we have evidence that it had been inhabited since very ancient ages, like the rest of the Salento area. Recent archaeological finds have revealed the presence of Mycenaean ceramic containers and vases dating back to a period between the thirteenth and the eleventh century B.C.
Otranto (pic n°2) was an important trading port in ancient times and even in the Middle Ages until 1480 when the Ottoman Turkish conquered the city and massacred 800 male survivors who refused to convert to Islam. The city's Cathedral dell'Annunziata, of Norman origin, contains their relics (pic n°6).
Today, Otranto is a medium-sized pleasant city and its special charm of a typical Salento village makes it worth a visit. It is a beloved tourist destination because of its amazing artistic and architectural treasures.
You can start out visiting the city from its historic center, where you can enjoy amazing panoramic views over the whole bay. Just a few steps away there is the Cathedral dell'Annunziata (pic n°5), built in the 11th century, which features a vast twelfth-century beautiful mosaic floor depicting the tree of life.
The Byzantine Church of St. Peter is another pearl of Otranto, which dates back to the ninth century and is home to some precious frescoes.
A little further on, located in a convenient position to protect the port of the city, there is the Castle Aragonese (pic n°4) built in 1226 by Frederick II of Swabia and amended by the Aragonese and Emperor Charles V at a later time.
Visit also the port area of the city and spend some time on its 10 kilometers long sunny beaches, first of all, on the famous Baia dei Turchi.
Some Pics of the city:
Otranto (pic n°1); Otranto (pic n°2); Otranto (pic n°3); Castle Aragonese (pic n°4); The Cathedral (pic n°5); Cattedrale dell'Annunziata (pic n°6);
Click on a region to see all the tours for that area